add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Downloading windows 8.1 through a flash drive

Mossedman
  • 60 months ago

I'm a bit confused by downloading windows through a flash drive, I bought a physical copy of it and it came with a disc and my pc does not have a optical drive. I would prefer to not use any third party software so I went to this site. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media I watched a ncix video about how to do it but in the video they where saying one thing but doing another. So when I click create media do I run the software or do I install it to my usb drive? Im doing this on a pc that hold's some important files so I don't want to mess any thing up. Thanks

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Provided that you have a qualified media to be entitled to use that website and such, and click their Create media button.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

I just asked the same question to myself 3 days ago. I found a very simple and easy process for your solution.

Rufus https://rufus.akeo.ie/

This was way too easy. Microsoft's method is the hard way.

Rufus download can be portable. One tab for your selections, fast results. Any questions, post here :)

Boot from USB drive

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

So I download rufus to the usb drive? This is a legal way right? Thanks

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

No. Details at link by Tooth.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

rufus is "software" and I downloaded the "portable" version which means no install.

1-Make a ISO image of your windows disk 2-select settings in rufus. One of the settings is using your windows ISO image. (create a bootable disk using "ISO image" 3-USB device attached. Format option also in rufus. 4-click start. Goes fast

If you have a windows key, THAT IS THE ONLY LEGAL way :)

yes, nothing fishy or illegal

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks, that's a lot simpler then I thought.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube