add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

So a USB install of Windows?

N0VAxForgotten
  • 60 months ago

So how would I get Windows onto the USB drive. Also, is it free?

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

https://rufus.akeo.ie/

Free, portable, easy and fast and bootable USB drive.

For my use, I first made a ISO image of the windows OS Disk.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

If you buy Windows directly from Microsoft, they'll offer to send you the retail box or give you the download. If you select the download, at the end they'll offer to install it onto media to make it bootable. You select the USB you want to make bootable and it does the rest.

If you're talking about putting it onto a USB drive because your new computer doesn't have an ODD, you'll need another computer with an ODD and you'll need to go through some other steps. I think Rufus can do it from what I remember.

Anyways, no, Windows is not free but putting your copy/license onto media to boot from it is.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube