add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

OpenELEC vs KodiBuntu vs Ubuntu + Kodi

Karl0508
  • 60 months ago

Hey guys

This is just a quick question, i have a ITX system with the G3220 and no GPU but thats ok as i only want to watch stuff on my TV at 1080p :)

What i want to know is of the 3 options has anyone had any experience with them and could provide feed back on the better one?

I'm liking the OpenELEC as this will be my samba drive as well need to keep photos updated

But has any one got any suggestions?

Comments

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

No experience with openELEC, unfortunately, but I can talk about Kodibuntu and Ubuntu + Kodi. If you're going to be doing work with samba sharing, it might be best to go with Ubuntu + Kodi, because that way you have a full Ubuntu distro sitting behind the Kodi to work with should you need help configuring your shares. Of course you can still get to a stripped-down desktop in Kodibuntu, but not all of the repositories are there by default; neither are many of the programs you might find useful on a linux distro. I generally have found XBMC/Kodi-based distros to be an absolute pain the *** for customizing beyond the absolute basics of what they imagine you should do with the system. In a sense, you can't really fault them for that, because the whole idea of Kodibuntu is to make linux into a very simple media interface - and it does that beautifully. But i you're going to be connecting to shares, I'd want a more full-featured desktop distro behind the Kodi interface to keep things running smoothly.

• 60 months ago
  • 1 point

My big worry is resource usage, will i be using to much with ubuntu? or would it be ok for something like ubuntu minimal?

I'm only connecting via SAMBA hence the OPENELEC which has SAMBA built in, i'm not that confident a user really so wanted the simple idea, but want to get more and more into the LINUX side

not all of the repositories are there by default; neither are many of the programs you might find useful on a linux distro

Will using these slow my pc down? thats one of the big worries will it ave to much Bloat? I was thinking about server with the KODI desktop GUI and then i could do it all via SSH?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube