add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Estimated, Minimum Recommended ---- WHAT WHAT

Mark1991
  • 80 months ago

PC: http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/1omg4

So my estemat is 408W

Galaxy GTX 770 - Min Recommended says 600W. Why? and What should I go with?

Comments

• 80 months ago
  • 2 points

Hello, What most people do is look at the estimated wattage and then ad at 150w. It should be a Safe Wattage.

-Tyler

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, 550w will be fine. Galaxy is just covering their butt from people who buy $20 power supply that can only reach their rated power when the room is 65 degrees and the machine hasn't warmed up yet.

PCPartPicker appears to inflate the required wattage as a safety measure as well. You can probably do 500w but I wouldn't. There aren't many decent power supplies under 500 watts, and since most want more power the 500 and 600 watt units are on sale more often then the lower power.

If you were spending more than $80 on a PSU, I'd tell you to go for 450w because I know they can deliver all the power all the time. Your estimated power requirements are supposed to be all you'll ever need. You shouldn't have to add 30% or 150w or any of the other tips that people offer.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 80 months ago
  • 1 point

And a good power supply has the ability to handle those spikes. They can put out more than the stated watts but not on a continuous basis. The 150 over/30% myth is perpetuated from the days when there were few hard specifications or regulation of power supplies.

Now we have 80+ certification which states that the PSU is reasonably efficient. Certification is not a guarantee that someone didn't present a hot-rodded unit, but companies are putting more effort into components in order to meet the minimum guidelines of the program. There are many websites that review PSUs and offer opinions, although they tend to focus on 600w and above.

A 150 watt "spike" is huge in electrical terms and indicates a poorly built card or motherboard. Don't buy those cards. Most people are on a budget, and adding 150 watts to their base electrical needs puts a strain on what they can spend for a power supply. So they buy a crap unit that can't even meet 80+ and only reaches the stated wattage under controlled temperatures. When that fails, they use it as justification for the need to "overcalculate".

Buy a good power supply at or above the value stated in the PCPartpicker estimate. It's already inflated over your actual needs. My current rule is $50 for 450 watts and and $5 for every 10 watts beyond that. That's the bare minimum, if you're not gaming and into some serious 3D stuff, then you you won't have any trouble with a $45 or $50 PSU. The good PSUs actually start to kick in around the $70 range. Use this site for a second opinion, they usually come in higher than PCPartpicker http://extreme.outervision.com/psucalculatorlite.jsp

There are few power supplies of any worth below 450w-500w, plan on that much power as your minimum no matter what the estimates tell you.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Standard Practice seems to be take your minimum from a reliable PSU calculator (PCPartPicker does a fair job with a bit of overhead) and +100W, and buy a good power supply, this is definitely one of those things where a lot of people feel it's better safe than sorry, and a lot of other people scoff at the "wasted" $ and excessive wattage.

All do seem to agree though that you should invest in a quality PSU from a quality OEM instead of thinking that an abundance of wattage will save you.

Personally I'll go on the side of safety and get a slightly overkill quality PSU, since it's my money to spend, I can always make it up down the road. These builds aren't permanent stone creations.

You also need to factor in whether you're going to be OCing your system, or whether you plan to SLI/XFire down the line, since that will require more power.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

http://au.pcpartpicker.com/p/1orLy

For this build, what PSU would you choose?

• 80 months ago
  • 2 points

Everyone is insistent that you need to boost the power estimate despite it already being done in PCPartpicker. So I'll go along to get along. According to those theories, you'll need between 500 and 550w. Among all of the PSUs in the 500 to 600w range and around the $99 price of that Corsair 600w (and available on au.partpicker), I like:

• XFX P1-550S-XXB9 $89.00
  • Antec HCG-620 (the 520 modular is same price, so let's take more power) $95.00
  • OCZ OCZ-ZT650W $99.58

Some don't like OCZ, I think this is a good unit and it's the only one on my list that's modular. I don't like Corsair CX. We agree to disagree. The XFX is made by Seasonic, many people love Seasonic. The Antec is also Seasonic. I think it's a discontinued item so you may find it cheap from a low profile retailer.

I know that we agreed not to drop into the 450w range that I think is all you require. There's only one good unit there anyway. XFX P1-450S-X2B9 for $70.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

I just add 100 to the estimated calculator. Its very accurate and accounts for worst case scenario.

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

As this is my first build. Would I have any trouble installing the Antec 620 as it isn't modular?

Thank you for the info

• 80 months ago
  • 1 point

Non-Modular would be good experience for cable management, but it looks like your case doesn't give you many options for cables, so you'd likely be more comfortable with a modular PSU for your first build.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube