add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Z87 Motherboard showdown: GD65 Gaming vs Maximus VI Hero

OT-Knights
  • 83 months ago

So I was wondering which monitor is better... I'll be using it with these parts: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/1ow10

To get an idea of what I'll be using the PC for: I'll be mostly gaming and listening to music. i'm planing on overclocking but not extremely. I like the idea of MSI's faster response USB ports for my mouse and keyboard but I've seen some people complain about the GD65's Ethernet port. I will be using an ASUS Xonar Essence STX with the build so the on-board sound doesn't mean anything. I'm going to be using the SSD as a cache (not sure if that is effected by the mobo) I'm also going to be using a PCI-e wi-fi adapter but only for when I need it on the go or at a LAN party.

Does anyone think one Mobo is better/more reliable than the other? I'd love to hear some opinions.

Comments

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

The Hero is going to offer some nice advantageous.

1. Fully controllable fan headers in the UEFI and the OS. Each header support min and max target temperatures and associated speeds. You can also manually set fan curves. This is something that is overlooked but provides great value and usability when setting up your system especially when trying to find a balance of good cooling but quiet operation

2. You have enhancements to many standard functions like USB 3.0 Boost which can improve flash drive and external SSD storage performance. USB Charger+ you can quick charge a smart phone , tablet or eReaders even while the system is off. Other charging technologies are limited to iOS devices USB Bios Flashback - An advanced recovery and update implementation that can let you update the UEFI even if the system fails to post or power on ( which can occur from a surge , spike or sag ). It is also great when first setting up your system as you do not need to have the CPU, Memory or Graphics Card installed.

3. The quality of the UEFI is more robust with advanced features like SATA port naming, 1 click XMP, Quick Notes inside the UEFI, Secure Erase for SSDs inside the UEFI and much more. The long term UEFI support is also excellent for ROG boards.

As an example look at a board like the Rampage IV Extreme and then look at the Big Bang X Power. The UEFI is a key aspect to ensure compatibility, interoprabiility and performance as well as overall stability. It should not be under weighted.

1. You have robust included software ROG Ram Disk 1 year license for Kaspersky AV Full version of Daemon Tools Pro

2. The board features newest i series Intel nic which offers outstanding performance, low cpu utilization and robust management and configuration parameters. Many users feel that Intel nics set the bard overall. You also have included GameFirst II packet priority software than can be configured to detect your games and reduce the ping and latency times as well as improve connectivity for other applications.

3. Overclock is solid no worries it will offer as much as what your CPU and its cooler will allow for. The VRM is the essentially the same as the one on the Maximus VI Extreme

10K rated capacitors, 60 AMP high efficiency and low operating temperature chokes, and high performance and efficient NexFext mosfets.

Agreed that since you have a Essence STX the improved audio design does not benefit you. In this respect you could also consider the Z87-PLUS as it offer similar in performance and features as well as overall quality.

Main items reduce is some special ROG UEFI options, Audio and Game First and the special software inclusion. All the other items i noted are present.

Lastly you could step up to the Z87-PRO which would be the same cost as the Hero and cheaper than you current config and it comes included with 802.11N and Bluetooth 4.0. The wireless is high throughput with a flexible dual antenna design and support Dual Band operation.

lastly for a small cost offset especially considering what you save with no wireless adapter if you buy the Z87-PRO I would purchase a larger SSD with a faster controller.

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks for the really great response, will anyone else try to defend MSI? I currently have an MSI board and I experienced audible network interference when I put my Xonar sound card into (it was an easy fix, I simply moved the sound card to a different PCI-e slot) Is this a common problem with MSI boards or might it just have been my board? Also, does the Z87-PRO have the same fan control features as the Hero?

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

The motherboard have very similar performance so when comparing the 2, you are comparing features.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/MAXIMUS_VI_HERO/13.html | http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/MSI/Z87-GD65_GAMING/

Personally, I like the look of the Gaming series over the Asus and there are some notable features that the GD65 has over the Asus.

Comparing designs from techreports reviews, msi has 12 cpu power phases (asus 8), 1 pch power phase, a both have 2 memory power phases.

MSI support up to 64GB ram (Asus 32GB). 1066 to 3000+(OC)mhz ram(Asus 1066-2800+ OC)

MSI 2 EFI BIOS (Asus 1) so if you screw up flashing it theres a backup.

MSI 3x PCIE 3.0 x16, 4x PCIE 2.0 x1. (ASUS 2x PCIE 3.0 x16, 1x PCIE 2.0 x16, 3x PCIE 2.0 x1)

Both have 8x Sata 6, but MSI has 1x Msata port extra.

MSI has a gaming integrated network card 1 x Killer E2205 Gigabit LAN to reduce latency (ASUS 1 x Intel I217V Gigabit LAN)

MSI

6 x USB 3.0 ports (2 at front panel, 4 at rear panel) 8 x USB 2.0 ports (6 at front panel, 2 at rear panel) 1 x RJ45 LAN connectors 1 x Audio block with 6 OFC audio jacks 1 x Optical Digital Audio port 1 x Coaxial Digital Audio port 1 x PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse port 1 x HDMI port 1 x DVI-D port 1 x VGA port 1 x ClearCMOS button

ASUS

6 x USB 3.0 ports (2 at front panel, 4 at rear panel) 8 x USB 2.0 ports (4 at front panel, 4 at rear panel) 1 x PS/2 Keyboard/Mouse port 1 x RJ45 LAN connectors 1 x Audio block with 6 audio jacks 1 x Optical S/PDIF port 1 x HDMI port 1 x USB BIOS Flashback Button

Msi has some integrated audio features for above avg sound Realtek ALC1150 HD CODEC (Asus ROG SupremeFX 8-Channel High Definition Audio CODEC) Asus wins here? Both have above average audio.

Both have 5x 4-pin PWM Fan Headers.

Lastly, the marketed features.

MSI

OC Certified
Audio Boost
Killer Ethernet
Military Class4
OC Genie4
Click BIOS4
SoundBlaster Cinema
GO2BIOS
Easy Button
Direct OC
V-Check Points
Clear CMOS Button
Total Fan Control
Lucid Virtu MVP 2.0
Gaming Device Port
Super RAID
Super Charger
Command Center

ASUS

ROG GameFirst II
ROG RAMDisk
ROG CPU-Z
ROG Mem TweakIt
ROG BIOS Print
ROG SSD Secure Erase
GPU.DIMM Post
Tweakers' Paradise
Extreme Tweaker
USB BIOS Flashback
Extreme Engine Digi+ III
NexFET™ Power Block MOSFET
60A BlackWing Chokes
10K Black Metallic Capacitors
MemOK!
ASUS O.C. Profile
ASUS CrashFree BIOS 3
ASUS EZ Flash 2
ASUS Q-Shield
ASUS Q-Code
ASUS Q-LED (CPU, DRAM, VGA, Boot Device LED)
ASUS Q-Slot
ASUS Q-DIMM
ASUS Q-Connector
ASUS C.P.R.(CPU Parameter Recall)
ASUS WebStorage
AI Suite 3
Ai Charger
USB Charger+
USB 3.0 Boost
Disk Unlocker
Kaspersky® Anti-Virus
DAEMON Tools Pro Standard
  • 83 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks like they both have a Overclocking software (CPU,Memory), Audio software, Upgraded BIOS, Clear CMOS, Fan Adjustment software, usb charging software, and multiple BIOS profiles.

Let's start with the Asus unique features. They lean towards more software add ons.

Ramdisk, Custom CPU Z, AI Suite, USB Boost, Disk Unlocker, Kapersky anti virus, Daemon Tools Pro, and Webstorage (Cloud?).

Now for MSI, looks like they focused on hardware and have less software addon.

Network software, Lucid Virtua MVP 2.0, Gaming Port, Audio Boost, Super Raid, and COmmand Center.

Asus seems to have the better looking software and BIOS but MSI has packed a bit mroe hardware.

• 83 months ago
  • 1 point

The fan control functionality is the same as on the Hero. The PRO actually offers additional fan headers though compared to the Hero so if you need more headers then it is more flexible.

With that noted 3 pin and 4 pin control per header are fully supported.

Best of luck either which way with your build and glad to be of help.

• 82 months ago
  • 1 point

Just following up on some of the responses for clarification. Also had replied to your question on the PRO.

Not sure where the sense is that MSI has packed in more hardware?

They have less fan control functionality per header. Their audio design is not fully isolated ( it just a cover to the audio codec along with a basic opamp.

Their power delivery is offer lower lifespan and output specification

Capacitors have higher output capacitance Inductors/chokes have considerably more amperage and are fully molded vs non fully molded on the MSI Mosfets are much higher performance

The power solution is very close to the same power solution/design used on the Extreme board.

The only hardware spec on the MSI offered not on the Hero is

mSATA which is debateable as to the value as more choices at lower costs exists for standard 2.5 inch SSDs. The mSATA is a good choice on small form factor boards.

You are correct that the MSI also offers Lucid Virtu MVP. With that noted few users will utilize it as it is application dependent on the program needing to be update to support not only a game title but the driver. When functional though it can offer nice flexibility between the iGPU and the GPU.

As for VCheck Points they have little value as you cannot use them when you board is installed inside the chassis. For some select extreme overclockers they can provide a secondary option of measurement.

Lastly in regards to the two items noted below

MSI support up to 64GB ram (Asus 32GB). 1066 to 3000+(OC)mhz ram(Asus 1066-2800+ OC) MSI 2 EFI BIOS (Asus 1) so if you screw up flashing it there's a backup.

MSI has not released the qualified 64GB. Technically all boards support this as the memory controller ( on the CPU supports it ). As of now you cannot buy 16GB dimms except for ECC modules which are intended for the server and workstation market and intended use for Xeon CPUs.

32GB is the max real world limit that is currently available.

For the memory speed the Hero has also completed validation of 3000MHz dimms but was released post the ofifical QVL which is being referenced. In reality though no standard user is purchasing 3000 dimms. Most users are focusing on 2133 or 2400 for the top end of memory being used. Below is the link for GSkill and its QVL for 3000 http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-3000c12q-16gtxdg http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-3000c12d-8gtxdg

For the dual bios reference the MSI does feature 2 bios chips but they are soldered. If the rom fails to flash over or switch to the secondary chip you are still left with a board that will not post or boot or can be corrupted.

The Hero uses a socket based rom chip. This is removable meaning you can contact support to have them send a replacement and just install it as opposed to having to send the board in. Additionally it features USB Bios Flashback a special recovery option which can low level flash the UEFI chip if it becomes corrupted. This can recover the rom and recover it and allow for normal functionality. In this total perspective I would feel it offer a more robust fail safe for corrupted UEFIs.

Overall alot of information and hopefully allows you to make a decision. Best of luck in your decision and best of luck with either board you go with. Hope it helps!

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube