add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

CPU cooler or no? - FX-6300

The_Hyphenator

84 months ago

I'm a first-time builder, looking to make a solid gaming rig for use in my entertainment center. I'm looking at using a FX-6300 for my CPU, and a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 650 2GB for my video card (I'd go for a 660, but I'm trying to keep my cost low, and a $200 card is just too much for me).

My question is twofold; should I consider overclocking the CPU, and if so, will I need an after-market CPU cooler, or will the stock AMD one suffice? I'm putting the rig in a Cooler Master HAF XB ATX case, to give you an idea of what the rig's overall airflow situation will be like.

Comments

• 84 months ago
  • 2 points

Well, overclocking would depend on the motherboard you are getting. What motherboard are you getting? And even if you aren't overclocking, get an aftermarket cooler. The stock one is a piece of ****, excuse my language. Here is a cooler I like: http://pcpartpicker.com/part/cooler-master-cpu-cooler-rr212e20pkr1 its the cooler master hyper 212 evo. My freind has the same cpu and this fan, and it keeps his cpu nice and cool. Its also only $35, which isn't bad considering its about 100x better than the stock cooler. There are youtube videos to help with the installation,as it can be tricky.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm looking at a Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 for my motherboard.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

Now that's a nice board. Overclock yourself to your heats content, and then some.

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd actually recommend getting a better video card over the cooler - the 6300 is a perfectly capable processor itself, so (with the exception of CPU-intense games) it's really not going to be a terrible bottleneck for now. In the future, certainly you'll want to overclock it - but for now, there are better things you could do with the money.

I say this because the GTX 650 is a pretty poor card; also, unless you're a huge texture ***** like me, 2GB VRAM is kinda wasted on a card that weak. I'd advise you put the ~$30 from a Hyper 212 towards something like a 7770, 650 Ti, or 560 (from weakest to strongest).

• 84 months ago
  • 1 point

here is how i would think about it. instead of the $30 fan, keep the stock fan or buy a cheap one and you can get the 660.that will do you better than buying a cpu fan to overclock

• 76 months ago
  • 1 point

I know this was made several months ago, however the fact remains a decent cpu cooler will help get the FX 6300 to around 4.4 to 4.5 ghz. I am using a old Zalman 9500 (not recommended but it was free) and am at 4.4 ghz. A Hyper 212+ (non evo is usually $15 cheaper or almost half) and cools about the same just the non evo is a little louder.

A bad example of why to overclock the FX 6300 is League of Legends. At stock my fx 6300 + 5870 + adata 128 ssd loads 20-30% slower than my wife's laptop of a i5 + igp + samsung 840 250 gig. At 4.1 ghz they are about equal and finally at 4.4 ghz my FX 6300 loads about 30% faster.

Overclocking is easy, just set the fsb and northbridge to 2k each and then change the multiplier. Turn off the extra cpu functions (turbo, c6, power savings) until you get a stable oc and then you can re-enable them. VCore will vary based on your chip but just prime 95 for a hour to see if it crashes. If yes then bump voltage and try again (keeping it under 70 cel load using HWMonitor)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube