add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Would buying a new modem decrease lag?

PursuitOfGaming

55 months ago

For example If I bought this modem ( http://www.amazon.com/ARRIS-Motorola-SurfBoard-SB6141-DOCSIS/dp/B00AJHDZSI/ref=sr_1_2?&s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1436815230&sr=1-2&keywords=modem&th=1 ) and had an ethernet cable plugged into my computer would playing games be less lagy? I'm trying to figure it out b/c I want to get BO3 on pc.

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

We can't really tell you how much improvement you'll see without first seeing your current set up. I kind of doubt that your modem is your bottleneck, though. I bought my own modem, but only because I didn't want to keep paying $10/mo to the ISP to rent it.

Anyway, link us your current build if possible. It's most likely your CPU or GPU that's the problem. It could also be the router, but again...I doubt it.

EDIT

After looking at your profile and seeing your "completed build," I agree with Eschaton in that your modem is the problem if that truly is your current setup (i5-4670K + GTX 770). Since you don't have pictures in the build, I can't tell if you built it or if that's just a dream build.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I guess you never really said if you're currently having issues running games...Are you? If so, you probably have some other problems, because that modem is fine.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Maybe it's just my internet provider b/c for example I was lagging badly in Insurgent a couple days ago or like In bfh on my ps4 I would stay in place not being able to move.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, it's likely that your ISP just isn't great. Do you know what you're paying for? 10mbps, etc? Also, there are websites to check how fast your internet is. I wanna say "speedtest" is one (I'd link it, but my work blocks those kind of sites).

EDIT

Speedtest

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Pretty sure I'm paying for 30mbps from timewarner cable. Here's the results http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/4514545183 Ping: 20ms Download Speed: 2.35mbps Upload Speed: 1.24 mbps

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

What Docsis revision is your current modem? You should be at Docsis 3.0 or higher; anything else is old technology and is definitely slowing down your connection.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

you're good, no need to update. you may want to get a router to put behind it though.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't the router just for wifi? I run everything through a cable.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, OK. You should be good.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Better check with your ISP provider. The cable company I use only allows their rented / leased modems to be used. Don't waste your money on something you might not be able to use until you know the answer.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The cable company I use only allows their rented / leased modems to be used.

Dang man...you gotta switch ISPs if you can! I hate companies that try to run a monopoly like that. If I may ask, what ISP do you have?

On a side note, OP has stated that he currently has this modem, so I doubt his ISP is giving him issues about not using the modem provided (unless that is their modem, of course).

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The OP's modem could certainly be from his ISP, but he never stated if it was his or theirs.

I use Charter Cable. I would love to get the Verizon FIOS internet but they are no where near my area. Have you seen their internet speed? My cousin has it in L.A. and he gets 60mbps upload! I'm lucky to get 4.5mbps upload on my service.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

The OP's modem could certainly be from his ISP, but he never stated if it was his or theirs.

True.

I get decent speeds with Comcast. I can't remember what it is..I could check when I get home if I remember. But yeah, 60mbps upload is really good. I just want Google Fiber...

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Google Fiber is out in some areas, isn't it?

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Yeah, they're still in the trial period, I think.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Holy smoke! I just checked and FIOS is in my area now. Going to have to compare prices now.

• 55 months ago
  • 2 points

WOOO!! Have fun with that! ;)

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Tell me, why would a new modem make any difference? If you think having faster speeds will help, that is not the answer.

For gaming, lag is measured by how fast data travels from the game server to your system and then back to the server. Measured in milliseconds, or ms. The lower the number, the quicker data gets to your machine. Gaming, you don't need a bunch of speed unless you are the host. And then when hosting, it is all about the upload speed.

The best test for game lag is to ping the ip address of the game server you wish to join. Again, lower the better. Swapping out modems wont make any difference unless you actually have problems.

1,000 ms = 1 second of "lag"

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I'll test it but for example if I'm playing an fps game and my lil brother gets on his ipad and watches youtube videos my game is just me standing still not being able to move.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

what internet speed are you paying your internet service provider? Download and upload

Are you getting what you are paying for? Run a speed test

http://www.speedtest.net/

pick a server or 2 closest to your location

run a ping test. This will tell you the quality of your line

http://www.pingtest.net/

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube