• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

PartpickingGlory 45 months ago

There is a 120$ to 150$ gap between these two cards. The fury is about 10% faster than the 390x. With more room for overclocking the 390x would make the difference go into single digit percentages. As well the 390x has double the vram although for now 4 gig (of HBM) should work fine.

I've been impressed the way the fury has nicely positioned itself between the gtx 980 and 980ti(even coming close to the 980 ti in some cases). Although, it's bothered me how much cheaper the 390x is. I plan to game at 1440p with freesync. Which gpu should I buy?

Thanks, PartpickingGlory

Comments Sorted by:

Godzlegend1 1 point 45 months ago

It's a new technology so there is a price premium for early adopters.. That and a decrease in space required, lower TDP and power draw and just better all-round performance.

Apex1 1 Build 1 point 45 months ago

I believe OP is talking about the Fury, not the Fury X. If that's the case there really isn't a decrease in the space required, is there? Isn't the Fury a full size card?

PartpickingGlory submitter 4 Builds 1 point 45 months ago

yes 10-11''

My bad..... Well then yes the Fury is just as big as most aftermarket gpu's.

The Asus Strix Radeon R9 390X is aesthetically similar to the fury. But I can't find it selling anywhere. Anyone know a link?

Here 's a review of it: http://www.pcworld.com/article/2947294/components-graphics/asus-strix-radeon-r9-390x-review-keeping-up-with-the-high-performing-joneses.html?page=3

Umm.....

Why not just buy a fury version?

I just wanted to point out a GPU that was very similar to the fury. AKA with DirectCU III for example and made by Asus. Then it's a little more fairer to compare.

I guess it really is just the price/performance difference that throws me off. The 390x runs at 90% of the performance of a fury for 70% of the price. Now I know a stepping stone between them could be the gtx 980 but at stock the 390x is the same or beats it so in that case I'd just buy the fury.

elvenson 5 Builds 1 point 45 months ago

if you want to really use freesync, your best off with the fury. the extra performance is a huge deal with that kinda feature.

PureBlackFire 1 Build 1 point 45 months ago

the 390X is a better buy than the Fury.

[comment deleted by staff]

Let's say I were to game with this ultra refresh rate monitor at 1440p:

https://pcpartpicker.com/part/acer-monitor-umhg0aa001

Would you really see the difference between the two cards? I didn't see the specs of the monitor they were using in the article but would that extra fps really improve the game play given the high refresh rate.

Here's my current system without gpu (psu is not on pcpartpicker):

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/XcXKD3

[comment deleted by staff]