add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube
Themanwhoneedsham
  • 59 months ago

Hi! thanks for helping me out! Im on the brink of finaly purchasing my build and i intend on using the windows 7 home premium sp1 oem, but i wanted to know, when building a computer, do i use OEM? or just some other version?

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 5 points

the OEM is cheaper but

After an OEM software license has been installed on a PC, the license may not be installed on or transferred to another PC.

you can reinstall as many times as you want but on the same pc.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

as long as you intend on sticking with that computer for a long time. however something to think about is that when windows 10 comes out Microsoft claims that it will be the last version of windows and they will change from creating entirely new operation systems and they will bug fix windows 10 until it is supposedly perfect. so what has changed is that if you had a 5 year old computer today then it would have an outdated operating system on it and it would make sense to get oem on it because you would only use it on that computer. but if you were to get a new computer and stick with it for another 5 years. at that point the computer would be out of date but the thing that has changed is that you are using the same version of windows. so the price difference between oem vs non oem software is $30 but if you want to get 2 oem versions of windows it will cost you $200. but getting 1 non oem version of windows will cost you $130. saving you $70 now that might not sound like a lot but thats the difference between lots of different hardware.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 59 months ago
  • 1 point

We do not allow grey market key sites here. Please do not mention it again.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube