add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Do I Need A Fan Controller?

marcelfrancis

55 months ago

Hey guys.

So I added a fan controller to my build because I thought I needed one but I may not. I have no idea which is why I'm asking. So I bought 5 case fans because I'm not going to be using the stock ones that come with the case. I plan on having 1 rear exhaust fan, 2 fans at the top of the case and 2 and they very front. I would need 5 ports to plug all the fans into my motherboard but I don't think there is any motherboard that has 5 fan ports which is why I added the fan controller.

Is this necessary? To use all 5 fans will I have to get a fan controller?

Thanks for you're help in advance.

Motherboard: https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/asus-motherboard-z97eusb31

Case Fans (x5): https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/cougar-case-fan-cfd14hbg

Comments

• 55 months ago
  • 4 points

According to the specs the mobo has 3 4-pin fan connectors and 1 for the cpu fan. You can control fans connected to these with the bios. To use control two more fans you'd need either a fan splitter or a controller. You can also power them with a molex connector though they can't be controlled.

This next part is important. Those fans use 3 pin connectors while the mobo uses 4 pin. They are compatible but you will be unable to control the speed. You'd need the 4 pin fans for that which are called PWM fans. In other words unless you get pwm fans you would need a compatible controller for 5 3 pin fans. If you get 4 pin ones you can buy 1 or two fan splitters to control all the fans.

• 55 months ago
  • 0 points

Thank you for the help. I already purchased 5 of the case fans mentioned so i have to stick with them now.

Would the fan controller I selected solve my problem? (https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/part/nzxt-fan-controller-sentry2)

Is doesn't support 4-pin fans but I guess that shouldn't be a problem considering the fans, as you mentioned, are 3-pin connectors.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

Looks fine for what you need.

• 55 months ago
  • 1 point

I have the external Nzxt fan controller on a spare pc. I think yours is similar except you slot it in the hard drive bay. Comes with 5 fan controller feeds, and 5 fan temp leads. You can set it you manual or auto. For example, if you expect a heavy gaming session you can crank up the fan speed for the expected increase in temps. OR...it it to "auto" and as the temps raise, your fan speed increases.

Touch screen interface

Five fan control through an intuitive interface

Ultra fast selection and response time

Display temperatures in both F and C

Light switch turns off the meter when sleeping

Automatic and manual modes of control

Full compatibility with all types of fans using voltage control

With a maximum of 10 Watts per channel, the Sentry 2 will support almost all high end fans

Tuned accuracy with only a tolerance of one degree

Sound alarm to alert when the temperature is over

Stored settings, the Sentry keeps your settings even after power off

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube