add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

R9 390 or another R9 270X

sgtSnyder

48 months ago

This is my current build: https://pcpartpicker.com/b/PMQV3C

The R9 270X holds up pretty well for most of my games, but in certain games it doesn't cut it. I like to max out my graphics settings, the FPS isn't critical, I just like a relatively smooth experience (50-60 FPS ideal). In Tomb Raider on the Ultra preset I currently get about 40 FPS which is just a little shuttery. But I would like to play on Ultimate with anti-aliasing set to 4x. On Metro Last Light Redux I have to keep everything on medium in order to play at 60 FPS.

So I am not sure which direction to go. I'm looking to spend about $350 dollars on an upgrade, so I am thinking either another R9 270X for crossfire and then get an i5-4690K, or just upgrade to an R9 390 and save the CPU upgrade for another day. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated on what direction I should take my build.

Comments

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

personally, id get the 390, then sell the 270x and the pentium and use that cash for the i5.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I completely forgot about the money I would make back by selling the pentium and 270X! Thanks for pointing that out to me lol.

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Never Crossfire two average cards in hopes of better performance.... Just don't.

How about... Forego the r9 390 and find a medium? Sell your GPU and CPU (So the 270 and the pentium) and buy either a standard i5 4590 (Or the 4460 if you must, there's no real difference) and get the r9 390 or gtx 970 (whichever is cheaper).

BOOM! Challenge completed cya next week i'm here from nine-five.

• Yes.... Elvenson said the same thing but I swear I was thinking it... I promise ;)
  • 48 months ago
  • 1 point

That sounds like a solid plan! Some GTX 970s are coming down the the $300 mark, so if I can sell the R9 270X and pentium for ~$150 then I should have enough to get a 4690K from Microcenter. Thank you for your suggestion, and thanks for the heads up on the crossfire!

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

I would say get a 390 over a 970, it just performs better than the 970 at this point. and it has 8gb.

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

I just replaced a Crossfire 270X setup with a 390. The 390 blows it away, and total system power is slightly lower.

The real truth is that there are very few games that can actually take advantage of Crossfire without problems.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Thank you! How is the performance of the 390? What kind of games are you playing on it and what processor do you have?

• 48 months ago
  • 2 points

Far Cry 4 is the most intensive game that I'm playing. I only turn off the Godrays (because the Gameworks stuff seems to cause crashes). I'm maxing out my 60 Hz tv with everything else set to ultra @ 1080p.

I'm running a FX-8230 @ 4.2 Ghz and my 390 is the Gigabyte G1 at stock clock. I don't have GTA V or Witcher 3 yet (waiting for the next Steam sale?), but they'll probably get me testing out the OC.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

Awesome, thanks for the input! Definitely going to go with the 390.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube