add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Keeping Case Off Carpet

PenSwordXII

53 months ago

I live in a tiny studio apartment with wall-to-wall carpet, and don't relish the thought of taking up valuable desk space with my new rig. Anyone with experience have a recommendation for the best type of platform or material to put under a case on a carpeted floor so it can breathe and have some dust protection? I've looked at some wood or laminate boards online, like what would be used for cheap shelving, but so far they're all too long, and thicker than I'd like them to be - it'd look like crap, take up valuable floor space, and I'd undoubtedly stub my toes on it.

Alternatively, how necessary is it if I'm prepared to vacuum every week or two? I have the Corsair Carbide 300R. Its feet give it exactly one inch of clearance, and it has a filtered vent on the bottom under the power supply. The front intake is also filtered. My carpet is extremely flat and hard with no fluffiness to it at all. The minuscule amount of give it has causes the case to lose maybe 1/16 inch of clearance. How about if I mount the power supply with the fan facing into the case rather than towards the vent underneath it?

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Get the measurements you need and go to home depot, they will cut a cheap piece of wood whatever size you need.

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

You could always just put some cardboard under the case, its cheap and effective, its what I do when I put my case on carpet.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I just had a "DOH!" moment. Freaking cardboard. Done.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm actually the manager at a UPS Store. Got access to enough free cardboard to build a hobo mansion. Hate the stuff, but it'll work at least while I look for something more permanent.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

As long as it has more than 5cm or ~2.25 inches of clearance then it'll be fine. You could get come small wooden planks or boards to prop your rig up a little more.

If your carpet is shag then that will always be a no no. but if it's not very fluffy then you'll be fine with it being 5cm above the ground.

If your carpet IS shag then just laying down a wooden board for it to sit upon will be fine.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube