add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

MS DOS, Win 95 and 98 games

wizard_ape06

54 months ago

Know any good platformers, FPS's, action, and horror games for these operating systems? I started collecting some old Windows games for nostalgia. I could use some recommendations. Thanks!

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Nethack should run on those... It was released while MSDOS was in use and before Win 95 and 98. Could sort of fit action and horror...

For ... I want to say all of them, you have the Microsoft Entertainment Pack(s), including great options like Chip's Challenge, Ski Free, Rodent's Revenge, Pipe Dream, TetraVex...

And of course, Doom.

[comment deleted]
  • 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Just take a walk through GOG.com's catalog. They've done all the porting work to make the old games work as well as possible on modern Windows installations.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

This site was a surprise. I'm kind of liking this more than Steam. Thanks!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

It is a great site.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

btw, thats also a sub company of the owners of the Witcher game franchise... and they sell DRM free games.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Not all in the categories you listed, but some are - these are STILL amazing games that stand the test of time:

• Master of Orion 2
  • Missionforce: Cyberstorm
  • Commander Keen series
  • SimAnt
  • Tyrian
  • Jazz Jackrabbit
  • Hunter Hunted
  • X-COM (of course)
  • Syndicate
  • Worms
  • The Incredible Machine and the Even More Incredible Machine
  • Oregon Trail (of course)
  • Odell Down Under
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Wow! Thanks for the list, this is awesome! I'll definitely keep an eye out for these games.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Earth siege baby!

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Nethack (rpg made of ascii characters on a DOS prompt)

Jill of the jungle (platformer)

Duke Nukem (platformer)

Monster Bash (platformer)

Doom 3D (fps)

Catacombs (fps)

Chex Quest (platformer) if you dare xP

Wolfenstein 3D (fps)

Word Rescue (meh? It was fun as a kid and caused these things to develop in my brain)

Word Muncher / Math Muncher (see: Word Rescue)

EDIT: Oh! Quake might've been win98 I think... would have to ask the Oracle to be sure.

[comment deleted]
  • 52 months ago
  • 1 point

The first 3 elder scrolls were for dos, and they have been re released as freeware. I couldn't find the control mappings for arena when I tried to play it

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Command and conquer

Command and conquer: red alert

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Star Wars: Jedi Knight. It is a fairly good FPS with great graphics from that time. I used to play that game all the time on my old potato computer. It also has a good story line. The final boss is really funky looking.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube