add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to survive without Optical Drive

SpikzeMC

53 months ago

Hello!! I have fallen in love with the H440, buuut... I have a lot of DVDs and a couple of old DVD games, but, obviously, the H440 doesn't have a stinking optical drive bay. :( I am also thinking of getting games the "old school" way and buying the DVD versions, since it is faster. Is there any safe, fast, and easy way to mod the H440 to have an optical drive? Or is an external drive safe/fast enough? USB 3.0 (VII Formula has no USB 3.1 :( )... Will it be fast enough? I know there is the H630 but it doesn't have a side panel window. Thanks

Comments

• 53 months ago
  • 2 points

Just use an external USB 2.0 DVD drive. Even if the DVD drive manages to consistently maintain 16x speed, which is unlikely, that would only be 21.6 MB/s. That is well within USB 2.0 transfer specs, even factoring in overhead due to USB 2.0 interface.

• 53 months ago
  • 0 points

Sorry, ya lost me there. lol Sooo... is that fast? How long would it take to install a, say 50gb, game?

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

The read and write speeds of an external DVD drive would be similar to one that is installed via a drive bay.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

You could mod it if your into modding http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=lmwj5DPp5hU I think an external would be easier though. I think the speeds should be fine, but I can't confirm it since I've never tried it.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

You know what I used to do with old school Duke Nukem 3D, Worms Armageddon, Roller Coaster Tycoon, etc. era discs in the 90's?

Play them using virtual images of said disks. This is my definition of "old school".

Just use an external drive to make ISOs with something like PowerISO for example and mount them on a virtual drive using PowerISO Virtual Drive manager when you feel like playing them. (it comes with Power ISO anyway, and it gives you every option for this in the context menu.)

If they are old games they shouldn't be too big anyway, and in doing so you can back up all your disks on an external HDD and carry that instead of what may be dozens and dozens of physical disks. You could even play them exclusively off the HDD too I guess, I can't imagine it possibly being slower than either an internal/external DVD drive.

• 53 months ago
  • 1 point

Ok, but how do I put said games in an extenal HDD if they are DVD and I don't have a DVD computer? xD

Also, haha, sorry 'bout the misuse of the term "old school" ;)

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube