add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Help! I'm a dumb noob

trashcan94
  • 59 months ago

I may have screwed myself here. So I've built my computer and needed an OS, my friend said to just buy it online as a download and put it on a usb. So I went to microsoft's webpage and bought windows 8 from there only to see that I can't really download it onto anything, it only gives the option to install it on the current computer D: definitely should have done a tad more research I know. Am I done for or is there something I can still do?

Comments

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

did it give you a software key? (a 25 letter and number strand like xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-xxxxx-?)

if not then download it onto that computer...... then download a software called magic jellybean keyfinder, it will find you your windows 8 key... once you have your key KEEP IS WRITTEN DOWN SOMEWHERE SAFE!, go to this site http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media and click "CREATE MEDIA" once you do that it will download a small file.....

open that file and choose the version of windows 8 that your key is for, the language you prefer and if you want 32 or 64 bit, then click next, plug in your usb drive.... and click the usb flash drive option... BOOM you have a bootable flash drive of windows 8.1 ready to work.... just boot it up on your new pc and put in the key you saved before..... and you are set :D

NOTE: i really hope this helped, believe it or not i learned everything i know about this kind of stuff over the past month :D

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Thanks! I actually already got it on my computer and everything though.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Do you have the product key for it? If so you are fine, you can just download a .iso file from somewhere. What version of Windows 8 did you buy exactly?

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

I believe it was 8.1 and yea I have the product key.

• 59 months ago
  • 2 points

Was it 64 bit? 32 bit? The pro version? If you can provide this information I can give you a link to download the .iso file.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, I'm pretty sure it was 8.1, 64 bit, not the pro version. I'm not sure what other details might be needed, but thanks for your help!

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/p/?LinkId=510815

Just a warning this will download automatically as soon as you open the link.

• 59 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay thanks! Does it matter that the windows version I got was not OEM?

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube