• Be respectful to others
  • No spam
  • No NSFW content
  • No piracy or key resellers
  • No link shorteners
  • Offensive content will be removed

Topic

Frost_guy361 44 months ago

Why aren't there any of the hundreds of free OS out there in the Operating Systems list? Could you please add at least the major/popular ones onto the list? And, I love this site I recommend it to anyone that is interested. I couldn't imagine building my PC without it. It is an amazing website.

Comments Sorted by:

mdocod 2 points 44 months ago

I just use "custom part" to add linux distro recommendations for builds.

I can appreciate why it isn't practical to try to maintain a linux OS list. There are just too many fuzzy details with linux distros and hardware support to really be able to offer any assurances about compatibility.

FH100 1 point 44 months ago

Previous Staff answer to this was:

We've talked about this in several threads in the past but it basically boils down to two things:

The vast majority of the Operating Systems are not sold at a retailer we list and therefore linking to them would mean an update every time an update is pushed to each distro across a variety of websites. None of them use a feed so they would either need to be scraped or manually updated.

We cannot verify compatibility with each distro and their various kernel versions which is the core functionality of the site.

The best solution right now is to simply add the OS as a custom part and class it as your operating system.

Source: https://pcpartpicker.com/forums/topic/91952-gnulinux-under-operating-systems

Zowayix 1 Build 2 points 44 months ago

That's a shame and understandable, though I hope it happens one day. Just because it would be cool.

Frost_guy361 submitter 1 point 44 months ago

Oh that sucks. But, about your first "thing", I am not quite sure what you are talking about. PCPartsPicker doesn't have to keep up on any prices. They just have to put a link to the download site and list it as $0.00. There is no updating needed. This isn't really something that has to happen your right because of the custom part option. I just think it would be nice. And, about verifying each distro with their kernel doesn't really make sense. I mean the distros work to make their OS compatible with Linus's kernels in no way does anyone else have to double check their work. If you want to further explain this reasoning that would be appreciated.

They're checking compatibility between the components and the Distro, not the Distro and the Kernel.

So, just making something up here... Say "SuperLinux" doesn't have support for Nvidia video cards (not that super, eh?), PCPP would want to have that included in their compatibility check to ensure that people won't get something that won't work or they'll at least be aware of it. They already do this with the Windows versions; only time I see it is when you have a lot of ram and a low-end Windows version, such as this setup: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/3Bq9Hx

Frost_guy361 submitter 1 point 44 months ago

Would that really be that much work to find out?

For all or even most of them? Yea... (And how would you pick only "most" or "some"? Leave any out and those supporters will want them included...) I think they're are only ~5 staff members, and most of them are in specific fields (design, site programming...).
Not to mention keeping up with the updates on both ends will take a lot of time... New update on "SuperLinux" might make Nvidia cards work, but only if they're running Drivers before #310...

Coroff 1 point 44 months ago

possibly let the user find the compatibilities themselves? maybe make an "advanced tab" in the OS section and leave the linuxes there. drop simple ones like zorin and ubuntu and mint in the normal tab and add a filter for linux/windows and the advanced tab could hold linuxes who's compatibilities arent worth the time to find. leave little distros and servers and professional Windows in advanced too. i think it'd work quite nicely and reduce the clutter of indexing every single linux distro. just my idea though, possibly impossible but a suggestion.

manirelli staff 8 Builds 1 point 44 months ago

If we aren't factoring in compatibility then the custom part option is the perfect section for your suggestion.

Striped_Monkey 1 point 43 months ago

All you really have to do is put something as a warning that this may or may not be compatible with your build and link it to some page that explains exactly what linux is and why it might not work IE drivers may not be compatible and have the say, top 5 distros

mekevinb 1 point 43 months ago

I think most Linux users know what's up. If you're on an LTS release you run a slight risk of running into driver issues. If you're on a rolling release then you have nothing to worry about. Of course, never say never but the odds are great with a rolling release since hardware drivers are built into the kernel.

gartral 1 point 41 months ago

Might I suggest to the PCPP crew to allow the community to update the list of distros, and perhaps allow the community to vote on other's ideas of compatibility so that the right ones have a higher chance of floating to the top? You might be best off even putting a disclaimer saying "These results are community generated and do not represent a guarantee of compatibility" or something similar.

manirelli staff 8 Builds 1 point 41 months ago

Unfortunately, no. There is no way we allow the user's to have this level of control over what may be compatible.

Users are free to add their distro of choice via the custom part button.

Frost_guy361 submitter 0 points 44 months ago

Any extra information besides the name, main download link, and price of $0.00 would be completely unnecessary and a useless waste of time to provide.

BigAll 5 Builds 1 point 43 months ago

It would be nice for it to give an error saying that there isn't a driver for ____