add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Big aftermarket CPU coolers vs RAM sticks height

samsone

54 months ago

Hi guys,

I wonder if (and how) I will be able to fill up all my memory slots AND use a big aftermarket CPU cooler (like the Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO or the Noctua NH-D14, as examples).

• Will I need to buy only low profile memory?
  • How tall can my memory sticks can be? (Or how can I know how tall they can be?)
  • How can I know how tall memory sticks are BEFORE to buy them?

Here is some background informations: I plan to buy a Skylake (socket 1151) processor (maybe a Core i7, maybe a Xeon E3, still not sure about it). But, three things I'm sure about: I will buy a Z170 motherboard (with a 1151 socket), I will fill out ALL the memory slots AND I want to have an aftermarket CPU cooler.

Thanks for your advices!

If you wonder why I plan to buy that much memory, don't worry, I simply plan to run lots of virtual machines simultaneously...

Comments

• 54 months ago
  • 2 points

Hmm... Virtual Machines usually need a core or thread to themselves, right? So why not just go with a X99 build as LGA 1151 doesn't have anything >4/8 cores/threads planned for to my knowledge... Not to mention up to or exceeding 128GB of ram...

Noctua will tell you what the allowable clearance will be for ram for each cooler they have. Just look it up on their website. Other coolers might have it, but it's not definite.

I haven't heard of any ram manufacturers stating the height of their ram reliably... Best bet would be to find a ram stick that does have the height listed and then compare it to others.

Personally, I would just go with low-profile ram and be done with it.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm on a budget... I would love to buy a X99... God knows how I would love it...

Thanks, you just confirmed what I already thought: my best bet is to buy only low profile memory...

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Hmm... I would spec out the main components you want; since X99 and most Z170 motherboards use DDR4, you can spec out everything but the motherboard and CPU. Then when Skylake (or at least a part of it) gets released on... August 6th?, you can do an easy comparison of an X99 CPU + MB vs Z170 CPU + MB. I'm thinking a i7-5820k and "cheap" X99 motherboard might be almost the same price as a i7-6600k & "mid/high-range" Z170 motherboard.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Let's wait February 2016... and see. I will buy nothing until then.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Ah, you want to wait until AMD says "Sorry, Zen got pushed back another few months!" and you give up hope? :P
Just taking a cheap shot at them, really hope they hit their goals and timeline.

• 54 months ago
  • 1 point

I'm NOT waiting for Zen ... I will NOT buy any AMD CPU ... I simply wait two things:

1. All Skylake CPU SKUs being launched and reviewed.
  2. My savings grown enough to have 1300 bucks to spend on a new computer.
[comment deleted]
  • 54 months ago
  • 1 point

Uh... exact order depends on who reviews. I've seen many reviews that put the PH-TC14PE above the D14 and around the D15.

CryOrig R1 Universal has ZERO clearance problems w/o moving a fan. R1 Ultimate may require moving the fan, but also may run into case clearance problems on some cases, forcing the move to the back, as does the NH-D15.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube