add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

R4 case fan config, or R5?

mstrmind820937

53 months ago

Sorry I don't have pics, so will best try to describe my setup. Looking to properly setup the airflow in my system without it being too loud.

Presently I only have the stock two 140mm 1000rpm fans in place, one rear and one front upper. I have a gtx 970 and a be quiet shadow rock 2 cpu cooler. The main issue is that I have 6 hard drives in this sytem as well, which means that the two hard drive cages remain in place and will restrict the front intake, and unlike the r5, there isn't the option the modify this section with the cages.

So would two front intakes and one rear exhaust (any fans) be sufficient to help aid airflow to the gpu and cpu coolers. If so, the front intakes would need better static pressure to overcome the drive cages in the r4. So would 3 noctua nf-a14 FLX fans hooked to the r4 fan controller do the job - are they quiet?

Also would changing to the r5 be worth it? My r4 is 18 months old, and by and large it has served me well, but the option of putting the ssd on the back of the mobo tray, and then putting the other 5 drives in one cage with the other two cages removed might help. It's only since putting the gpu into the system has airflow/cooling/noise issues made me reassess the setup that I have.

Thanks.

Comments

There are no comments.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube