add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Upgrading my power supply

clortin
  • 56 months ago

Hi I recently purchased an HP EliteDesk 800 G1 Small Form Factor PC (I got it for very cheap, that's why I didn't just build one) and I was looking to add a video card into it for better gaming performance. Here are the specs:

Intel® Core™ i7-4790 with Intel HD Graphics 4600 (3.6 GHz, 8 MB cache, 4 cores)

8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB)

1 TB 7200 rpm SATA

Intel HD Graphics 4600

240W 92% efficient, active PFC

I think I need to upgrade the power supply as I am looking to get a higher-end video card put into it. Thoughts on what to upgrade to?

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

2 things: measure your enclosure. there might not be enough room to mount a gpu. And measure the psu. It's probably not an ATX form factor. It will be either SFX or ITX, I wager. Look at Silverstone. Get the highest wattage Gold PSU that you can get with the proper form factor.

To be honest this is not going to work well. These are small form factor business class machines. They were never designed for gaming or enthusiast parts and the contortions necessary to try to get something to fit is nowhere near worth the money to do so.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Not to mention that the case doesn't look well ventilated at all.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Which card are you planning to put in it?

EDIT: I just googled it that is a pretty small PC.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube