add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Windows 7 vs Windows 10

Scotty0709
  • 58 months ago

Mainly for those who have already upgraded: How does Windows 10 compare with Windows 7? In your opinion what are the pros & cons?

Comments

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I had a very easy time with it. Whenever I was doing the process I made sure to do custom settings otherwise it would've done a clean wipe. I went ahead and saved all my important files to Google drive (mostly pictures). After that, I was confident enough to try to keep personal files and delete applications (mainly because those applications can be re-installed no problems/save files are in the game/program's servers). Other reasons was it was a convenient time to clean my SSD anyways with stuff I didn't use.

The UI is really nice, Plex was a pain to set up, but after I did that all over again (Plex was a clean slate for me because my main computer was my multimedia server) it works fine. I couldn't find Windows 10 version of browsers, so I'll just hold off on that until they pop up instead of using older versions. Edge is really quick. The search bar next to start menu is nice, but really only takes out one click because after you click on start....there's a search bar that searches your computer and the web just like the other aforementioned search bar. You can't change the search engine to Google or Yahoo or ask.com (xD) yet on Edge as I guess there hasn't been win10 implementations yet. I re-downloaded drivers from Nvidia and haven't had issues with it except for a one-time occurrence where the driver crashed. I believe it was when I was loaded up a game then switched between windows too quickly or something? shrugs

The best part I think is that you can access all of your personal stuff, like email, calendar, alarm clock, so on. After setting up mine and my wife's email account on that thing it was as simple as clicking the windows button and clicking the email button and bam. Email already synced up and ready to go. You can even turn notifications on if you want (I leave mine off because I work 12 hr shifts and might drive my wife crazy haha).

A lot of the desktop icons won't have their graphics for various reasons but should work. Here's how I found out: Some of my games had gotten deleted in the upgrade process and left the shortcuts; after re-installing those games (steam's icon graphic does work btw), I went ahead and deleted the old ones and made new shortcuts. No change to graphics. Still does its intended function.

I think the most annoying thing would be the netflix and hulu apps because I don't have a touch screen so I can't just swipe to the left or right, I have to scroll the wheel. Hulu I have to scroll the mouse wheel off to the right from the starting location because if I scrolled closer to the middle and left side of the screen, the particular section scrolls up and down. All this I think is because those apps were made for win8/8.1 and probably not due to win10.

I saw on here people were flipping out about upgrading to windows 10, but I've had no real problems with it from a layman perspective. As far as security, overhead, etc etc, psh I'm just a sheep following the herd and listening to Microsoft.

If you don't have a Microsoft account, you do NOT need one to access any of your content, so don't let them trick you into thinking you're being forced to sign up for one. Always use custom settings. Good luck!

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

I don't really notice much of a difference, I spend most of my time on Chrome so once I downloaded that, It feels just the same as if I was still using windows 7

• 58 months ago
  • 1 point

http://reviews.gizmodo.com/windows-10-the-gizmodo-review-1720872266

This was a fairly comprehensive article from gizmodo.

You'll do everything from the search bar. the windows button is useless now, but still implemented hahaha. At the moment I only use the windows button for email access. That's.... yeah, that's about it.

[comment deleted]
  • 58 months ago
  • 1 point

My download speed went up from 4.2MB/s to 4.5MB/s every little helps, but it wont let me change some files location etc admin privileges it says, oh and i had no issue with my Nvidea card or drivers, ok a few bugs but nothing bad enough to not do it.

[comment deleted]

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube