add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

Why do people still buy Razer keyboards?

jacobs4525

52 months ago

After Razer started using Kailh switches, there really isn't any reason to buy one of their keyboards, considering you can get a better keyboard with genuine cherry MX switches for the same price, so why do people still buy them? If you have a Razer keyboard with Kailh (Razer Green or Orange) switches, please enlighten me. I'd like to know. I still see people putting them in parts lists all the time.

Comments

• 52 months ago
  • 8 points

For branding. They think that Razer = good.

A bit like iPhone for phones

• 49 months ago
  • 2 points

Best response right here.

The thing is, if people will still buy them and buy them at that price, Razer would be stupid to not sell them for that.

Perhaps after 3 or 4 years of Keyboards that die early, the reputation will be somewhat damaged and prices will have to drop (or quality rise)

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

i dont think so. samsung is good aswell.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I'd much rather use Alienware for that comparison because even though iPhones have less powerful performance than other phones on paper, Apple with iOS shows that you don't need a powerful phone to compete. Although yes, I can agree to a certain extent.

• 48 months ago
  • 1 point

And alienware

• 52 months ago
  • 3 points

I'd much rather have the superior build quality and Cherry MX switches of the K70 over any Razer keyboard.

• 49 months ago
  • 3 points

Most Razer folks have never used a half decent quality keyboard. All these guys touting their Razers with pride had a Logitech G20/25 of yester-year so they don't know what a good mechanical keyboard feels like.

I bailed on a Razer Blackwidow for a Ducky Shine 3 and the difference is night and day.

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

I have the blackwidow chroma and hasnt broke at all. well it happened once but it was my faukt spilling something. but it was dried and fixed so i like that it still last after damage. Im planning on getting a corsair cherry mx blue keyboard to test it out.

• 51 months ago
  • 2 points

It's not the sort of thing you're going to be able to test in a few days. The reason cherry keys are so great is that they often last upwards of 10 years. I don't think Kailh will be able to touch that any time soon with their production methods.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Your starting to sound biased. My friend has had his blackwidow for 2 years (i know him locally and saw the keyboard first day he got it) and it has been working fine. Through rage, essays, skype, steam, you name it. It has stayed perfectly fine. Lighting, software, switches, feel, keycaps, you name it. While it doesn't have the insane quality checking which Logitech have for their omron switches and cherry has, the good batches still go out alot more than the bad batches ever will.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The older Razer keyboards (2014 and older) use cherry switches. That would explain why it has lasted so long.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Had my Blackwidow over a year or 2 now. All keys work. People need to stop spilling Mtn Dew and dorito crumbs in their keyboard

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

I have a blackwidow chroma. I'm not a Razer fanboy though. I mostly bought is as all the reviews I read were positive and I got it on a sale. Tbh I love it. Everything on it seems high quality to me and I have had no issues with it. Plus the RGB lighting is pretty damn awesome.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Aesthetics or marketing I'd imagine.

• 52 months ago
  • 1 point

Cuz duuuuude its a razeer!!! (Razer fanboys)

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.razerzone.com/gaming-keyboards-keypads/razer-lycosa Take a look. Frikin' awesome.

Personally I believe that just because they use a different switch means that their keyboards aren't good anymore isn't true. Kailh switches are actually pretty nice, on par with Cherry's, based on my testing (I used a 2009 Corsair something-or-other until the USB cord had had enough of the cat trying to play with it a couple of months ago, at which point I bought a Lycosa and have been happy with it ever since)

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

The issue is not how they feel, it's how long they last. A friend of mine bought a Kailh Razer keyboard right when they first came out, and the switch for the "W" key broke within a week. They just don't have the quality control of Cherry.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Interesting, I've never had that problem.

• 51 months ago
  • 0 points

because w isnt the key that a person would use for gaming. (no offense to you or your friend, and disregard that last line if your friend doesnt game). t's not kailhs fault. Their supposed to be an offering for people who cant afford Topre or Alps or Gaterons or Cherry MX's. If you look at the Poseidon Z and ZX and even the RGB or the one with the wrist rest, these are all cheap mechanical keyboards that feel mechanical and are mechanical. They extremely competitively priced, and thats how they should be. What Razer did was increase the price for branding. It isn't kailh's fault for filling a much needed niche, it's razer's fault for over estimating it.

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

Exactly, hence why I called this thread "Why do people still buy Razer keyboards", not "why do people buy keyboards with Kailh switches".

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

A. People are blind and will only buy razor B. The RGB keyboard by them is brighter, otherwise it's way worse

• 51 months ago
  • 1 point

I bought my keyboard and mouse from ebay for £20 in a bundle. I have no idea what make they are it just says 'beast' on it (this obviously makes it superior). I've had them 2 years. No dead keys and even all the LEDs work. My bro got a Razer keyboard and it was knackered in a few months. Maybe it was a bad batch but surely I would have thought it would go well after mine.

• 50 months ago
  • 1 point

Rainbow lights, but there's a lot of better keyboards.

The only thing they do good is mice.

• 50 months ago
  • 0 points

Ehm, because Razer is meant for gaming. Also, the mechanical switches are super useful because you can change what a key does with Razer Synapse.

• 50 months ago
  • 2 points

But that functionality has nothing to do with the fact that the switches are mechanical, or that the switches they use are objectively worse than Cherry MX switches in every way.

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

SHOTS FIRED

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

Keep it polite man

• 49 months ago
  • 0 points

what did I say that was impolite? I literally gave my opinion. And gave a point to back up my opinion.

• 49 months ago
  • 1 point

You implied that electrifiedassassin is an 8 year old fanboy. No need for name calling if you have a good point.

[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
[comment deleted]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

I haven't heard much about them but from what I know they feel decent. We're going to have to wait a little while as the first few keyboards start to wear down in order to see how long they last, though, and I still would rather buy something with Cherry keys if I'm going to pay more than $100 for a KB.

[comment deleted]
  • 50 months ago
  • 1 point

They aren't specifically designed for gaming any more than Cherry switches are. Kailh switches aren't made specifically for gaming, they're made to be a cheaper alternative to Cherry switches. Razer gives them a different name, but they're still Kailh switches. That's not to say that they're bad for gaming, but they certainly are no better than Cherry ones, and the majority of people will tell you that they prefer Cherry to Kailh, not to mention the much tighter quality control. Kailh switches make sense in a sub-$100 keyboard, but in a high end flagship model like the Razer Blackwidow Chroma, I don't expect to see Chinese Kailh switches.

As for the lighting, both use the same method, and I don't think one is noticeably better than the other.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube