add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube

How to pick a PSU ! I think everyone needs help here !

Growliff1234
  • 56 months ago

What process do you go through to pick out a budget Power Supply ? How do you know which is made by who's parts, and how do you know who's are good. You guys seems to hate the CX series, even though they have fine reviews. I really hope some people see this because I have been wondering this for a WHILE

Comments

• 56 months ago
  • 2 points

same process for picking any psu.

• determine how much power you need, an apparently incredibly difficult first step
  • research power supplies in that wattage range, OEM, platform, specs and performance. checking sources and reviews that matter.
  • check what is available in the region/country you can buy these things from. what is available within your budget including how much it costs to get from a webpage or store to your house. how does it compare (electrical performance, build quality and component quality, physical size for case compatibility, fan noise, modular cables, warranty and after sales support etc.) to everything else in your budget. buy the best one for your money or for your specific needs.

lots of hate for the cx series, but before that it was lots of blind love because the name on the box so it's just life balancing things out. there are plenty of bad reviews for them too (especially the higher you go in wattage as they just get worse the higher you go), from user reviews to professional reviews. either way, if the cx600 and under are super cheap they are fine. the real problem with them lies in their pricing.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Okay, thanks. I have been curious what the process is to pick one out for a pretty long time.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I would agree that the good reviews are just "blind love"

http://www.overclock.net/t/1431436/why-you-should-not-buy-a-corsair-cx

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.legitreviews.com/corsair-cx430m-modular-power-supply-review-what-25-can-buy_2169/8

Were is the "blind love"?

The thread started mad that whole thread based on based on the review of the CX600 and came to conclusions that the review did not even make.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

if you are not going to be overclocking and buying it at 25 bucks, its not a bad idea, but also not the best..... I will NEVER recommend getting a tier 3 PSU, unless that's the only option available..

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Sure, if you can afford to get a better quality built PSU there is no reason not to.

Overclocking is not some magical idea that is going to kill a power supply unless you don't have a power supply with enough head room. That becomes more a matter of Watts then PSU quality.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Look at this list and choose from Tier 1 to 3. Tier 4-5 are bad, don't buy them. Corsair CX is a Tier 4 PSU.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2547993/psu-tier-list.html

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

http://www.legitreviews.com/corsair-cx430m-modular-power-supply-review-what-25-can-buy_2169/8

The tier list is flawed in that way. The CXM series and perhaps others should not be tier 4 because they do not fit that description.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

by the given descriptions they would be tier 3.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

That I agree with based on the description.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

tier 1-2 = great psu

tier 3 = acceptable

tier 4-5 = mediocre

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

More like:

tier 1/2 = great/good

tier 3 = okay

tier 4 = mediocre

tier 5 = fire hazard

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

more like tier 3 acceptable, and after that mediocre.

• 56 months ago
  • 1 point

Isn't that what I said? :)

[comment deleted by staff]
  • 56 months ago
  • 1 point

I didn't wrote that list.

Sort

add arrow-down arrow-left arrow-right arrow-up authorcheckmark clipboard combo comment delete discord dots drag-handle dropdown-arrow errorfacebook history inbox instagram issuelink lock markup-bbcode markup-html markup-pcpp markup-cyclingbuilder markup-plain-text markup-reddit menu pin radio-button save search settings share star-empty star-full star-half switch successtag twitch twitter user warningwattage weight youtube